Thursday 23 April 2015

Lessology Challenge - Typeface

The theme over at Lessology Challenge Blog is Typeface. Its all about using different fonts. An additional requirement they have for each challenge is that you have to upcycle something.

Finding different fonts wasn't the hard part as I have a huge amount of different stamps (alphabets, words), many letter stickers, lots of chipboard letters and stencils. The hardest part was deciding what I was going to use.

In the end I used 2 different Prima stamps - Rust and Dust & Don't Forget to Fly. Both of these fonts are a little hard to see as I did use them in the background. I used a Letter Jumble stencil by Dyan Reaveley, which form the main background. My quote I had in my scrap draw, it was to be used in a class that I did a little while ago but I didn't use it. The font is from a typewriter and the final typeface I use was my own hand writing. I don't really like my own hand writing but it seem appropriate to use it in this challenge.

Before i started this challenge I had decided that I was going to create a male card. Typeface just lent itself that way. Guess what that didn't happen in fact it didn't come even close to a male card.

To create the main background I used mixed media paper as I knew that it was going to have a lot of liquid to stand up to. I then used my stencil and texture paste to create a very textural background.


The stencil wasn't big enough to cover the surface of the paper, so I laid it 4 different times in different spots and different directions. I just love using stencils, they would have to be one of my favourite things to play with. You can get so many different results.

To add colour to my card I used Magicals by Lindy's Stamp Gang. When using them in this project I added the powder to water and painted it over the background with a brush. Once the background was dried and spread a layer of Texture Paste - Clear Crackle from Prima. I waited over night for it to dry as the instructions on the back suggested that but I had also watched different videos which said this was the way to do it to get that wonderful cracking.

 

Let me show you my card and then I will tell you about my upcycled item.


I have two upcycled items on my card, only because while I was looking for one I found the other. My first one is the sewing thread that is wrapped around my card. It was used to make a parcel I received in the mail pretty and the second item is the round circle that my flowers are on.

It is actually half a toy yoyo that we used to put in my daughter's birthday favour bags. My daughter had one and so did my son and both of them broke. I have no idea why I kept them, but I knew they would come in useful one day.


Looks a little different on the card as I coated it in gesso then used a spray to give it some colour.
Happy Creating

8 comments:

  1. Love the fun background you created with the fonts. And it's nice when you finally get to use something you've kept for a rainy day, huh?

    Lovely work! Thanks for joining us at LESSology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind words yyam, and yes it was great to upcycle although I stil have 3 others just the same, will have to use them up on something else

      Delete
  2. Oh YES! I soooo love the idea that you were going to start with a man card....& this is what happened. It's EXACTLY how I create, too:):) Gotta 'go with the flow''....which you did beautifully here:) LOOOVE the yoyo upcycle...you'd NEVER know! And that bg....YUM!!! Thanks for sharing with us at ARTastic:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy, I dont know how to create any other way lol. Thank you for coming to visit and leaving a comment

      Delete
  3. This is fabulous Deena! I love that you upcycled a yoyo! I would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather for you comments and popping past. The funny thing is I was actually looking for the yo-yo it was the thread that was an after thought.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes this is fab... A stunning created card. Thank you for playing withbus at LESSology :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super duper pretty! Love that yoyo that you used up! Great texture! Hugs from NY! Mitra

    ReplyDelete